Answers to your questions

This FAQ is designed to answer some of the more common questions you may have about insurance related losses


Are you properly licensed, bonded and insured?

Yes, we can provide you with a certificate of insurance.

How long has Kidd’s been in business?

Kidd’s has been a licensed company in Virginia since 1975.

What’s the difference between a restoration contractor and a regular general contractor?

While many contractors are fully qualified to construct a new home or complete a variety of remodeling projects, insurance restoration – especially smoke deodorization, restorative drying , and mold remediation – requires a combination of years of practical experience and a considerable amount of highly specialized training, certification, and equipment.

Who is responsible for the workmanship, quality of work, and warranty?

The General Contractor is responsible for all of the above.

After I choose a general contractor, what if I want to use a subcontractor of my choice for a particular trade (such as painting or flooring)?

It potentially voids the warranty. The preference is to use sub contractors we are familiar with. However, if the policyholder’s sub can give us a written quote along with licensing and insurance, then we will consider this as an option.

Do you belong to any trade associations?

Yes, we are proud to be a member of many trade associations specializing in restoration. They include IICRC and MSPCA..

How do I verify you as a licensed contractor?

We are a Class A Contractor under license # 2701037459A. This can be verified with the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation. They can be reached by phone at (804) 367-8500 or by e-mail at contractors@dpor.state.va.us .

Does your company specialize in restoration, or is it a sideline for you?

Insurance restoration of damaged structures and contents requires a sizeable investment in training, certification and equipment. Many years ago, we made the commitment to focus on fire and water restoration.


Do you work directly for the insurance company?

No. We work directly with you the customer or the owner of the property.
Will I have to sign a contract?

Yes. A written contract protects both you and your contractor and is required by state law. The contract is a very important document that spells out our agreement regarding the work being performed, payment dates, start and completion dates, and pricing.

How and when do you get paid?

It’s important to understand that while the insurance company will negotiate a financial settlement with you for the value of your job; it is your responsibility to pay your contractor as soon as your scheduled draws are due. The financial draw schedule will be included in your contract.

What happens when payment (draw) is due and the insurance company hasn’t paid me yet?

We will do everything possible to assist you in receiving payment from the insurance company. Under the terms of your contract however, you are responsible for making a payment to your contractor..

What is a deductible and who is responsible for paying it?

A deductible is a certain amount of money the insurance company will deduct from their claim payment to the policy holder as outlined in the insurance policy. Almost all insurance claims involve a deductible. The policyholder is responsible for payment of the deductible from their own personal funds.

What if additional damage is found during the restoration work that was not visible during initial inspection?

We will immediately notify the policyholder and insurance adjuster so that they can review and determine if it needs to be added to your claim.

Why did the insurance company “Hold – back” money when they issued the check if I have replacement cost coverage on my policy?

On large losses the insurance company and/or mortgage company holds some money in reserve (usually between 10-25%) to make sure the repairs are done. At the completion of the job they will issue the remaining funds.

Will my mortgage company get involved?

On larger losses, mortgage companies often get involved in the construction process in order to safeguard their financial position. Depending on the policies of your particular mortgage company, they may insist on being named on the insurance company’s payments to you, They may require periodic progress inspections or control of draw payments, or they may have other requirements. This is sometimes a complicated process, but we will assist you and your mortgage company in anyway possible.

Will I get checks that DO NOT have the contractors name on it which I will need to use to pay the contractor?

Yes. It is very common for the insurance company to issue a check directly to the homeowner. There are basically three expenses involved when a homeowner has a claim:

Additional living expenses-these are monies you will NEED to live and continue to have a “normal” life while you are displaced from your home. This is an item you deal directly with your insurance agent on.
Structure cleaning and rebuild-These are monies which will be used to get your home in the condition it was before your loss. Depending on the size of the loss you may get a check with only your name on it which needs to go to a contractor upon satisfactory performed work. Remember it is in everyone’s best interest to engage in a formal contract no matter what the size of the job! It protects everyone!
Contents cleaning and/or replacement-This check is often the most confusing. Sometimes it will include monies that the homeowner will need to replace items which were ruined and include monies to clean and restore contents which can continue to be used. Close contact with your adjuster and contractor can help you sort this out.

If I’m completely confused or don’t understand the process, who can I turn to for answers?

We are a source of helping with this often complex process. As mentioned in the “about ” section of this webiste we have been in this industry for over thirty five years. There is no telling how many different circumstances we have encountered.

What if a friend of mine has had a terrible experience with a claim on their home and this scares me?

There are so many different insurance companies and policies out there that you can’t possibly compare one to another. Treat your loss as the only one that concerns you.


Will I see an estimate before the work begins?

Yes. You and your insurance company will each receive the same written estimate, which will spell out in detail the work to be performed and the cost of performing that work.

Will you tell me how long the work will take?

We will do our best to estimate the total time your job will take, and that will be spelled out in your contract. Please understand that many factors may affect your completion date, including: delays in making material selections, problems with material availability or shipping; adverse weather conditions, discovery of hidden damage and any changes you may decide to make.

Do you do all the work yourselves?

We use a combination of in-house staff and subcontractors, depending on the type of work being performed.
Can I make changes to the house?

Yes. All changes will be priced out and agreed to in writing prior to beginning work on the item being changed.


Will my contents stay in the house during construction?

That depends on the severity of the loss. In many instances, most if not all of your contents can remain in the house. On jobs where your contents are damaged, they will typically be brought back to our facility for cleaning and repair.

If the contents need to be packed out, who does that?

Our own staff will carefully inventory, pack, and move your contents to our facility.

Where will our contents be stored?

We maintain approximately 15,000 square feet of content cleaning and storage space. After any necessary cleaning or repair is completed, your contents will be carefully packed and placed into individual storage vaults, which are both secure and separate from contents we are storing for other clients.

Who determines if a contents item is salvageable?

We will assist by offering our best opinion on whether an item can be salvaged.